TYPES OF COVID TESTING AVAILABLE
Covid antibody testing can be performed with a venipuncture or blood draw. This test provides insight into prior exposure or infections. Antibodies usually develop on average, 5-10 days after exposure or infection. IgM or initial antibodies take about 5 days, while IgG or later antibodies take about 7-10 days to develop.
COVID-19 PCR Tests
Nasopharyngeal swabbing tests for acute symptomatic or asymptomatic testing can be performed at anytime. The highest likelihood of false negative rates are before day 5 of new exposures. Testing performed by a CLIA certified lab. Results available within 24-48 hours once arrived at the lab.
Rapid COVID-19 PCR Tests
These tests are the best rapid tests available and test the genetic material of the virus and not the antigen. We advise to use these tests rather than antigen tests which have high false positive and negative rates. These results will be provided the same day and typically within 30 minutes depending on the volume of patients being seen. These tests are being performed under Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) and performed by a CLIA waived lab.
COST OF TESTS
Generally, your insurance carrier should cover the standard PCR & antibody tests.
For Rapid COVID-19 PCR tests, not all insurances will cover. Please inquire with office staff for more details about rapid PCR.
We recommend you contact your insurance carrier to ensure they will cover the testing before you have a visit, as we are not responsible for insurance companies deferring to do so.
If you would like to pay out-of-pocket, the office visit fee will be $100 and COVID-19 lab fee will be $85.
COVID-19 Government Fund Insurance available for the uninsured for free COVID-19 related visits and tests.
For businesses interested in setting up COVID-19 testing for cash prices, this can be arranged on site. Please reach out to us at Admin@miexpresscare.com.
The COVID Testing Process:
If you are coming in for antibody testing or screening without known exposure to COVID-19 or have no symptoms, you may enter the office for registration. All individuals entering our building must wear a mask regardless of reason for visit. Individuals not complying will be asked to leave.
Upon arrival for your COVID-19 testing:
- If you have exposure to a known COVID-19 positive individual, someone suspected of having COVID-19 awaiting testing results, or have any of the following symptoms: shortness of breath, fever, or cough, we ask that you remain in your vehicle and call the office to be registered through our scheduler.
- Please call the office upon arrival and press Option 2.
- If you are unable to register via our scheduler, please send the following information to Fax@miexpresscare.com
- Individual pictures of your insurance card
- Picture of your Photo ID or license
- Cellphone number
- If your address is different than on your license, please include your updated address in your email.
- When it is your turn, you will be called for your visit to begin.
We have established even more stringent cleaning processes than normal to foster an environment of safety for all of our patients. We also installed advanced filtration systems to further remove any viruses, bacteria, and germs.
Obtaining your COVID testing results:
Lab Sent COVID PCR results are taking on average 24-48 hours to finalize once they arrive to the lab. All tests are performed in a CLIA certified lab. Rapid COVID-19 PCR tests have same-day results, sometimes in 30 minutes depending on volume, and are performed in our CLIA waived in-office lab.
Please note:This is the average time, depending on lab volumes as testing has increased across the state. Your results may be available before or slightly after this but the average falls inside this window.
We ask that you plan your timeline for results accordingly. We will call the number provided to us with the result upon our receipt from the lab. If you do not receive a call within 7 days from testing, call the office.
You can obtain a physical record of your test by one of three methods:
- Pick up your test result from the office.
- Create a patient portal with the office by providing your email and requesting one be created where your result will be released.
- Provide a secure private fax or email where results can be sent directly.
Patient volumes have increased all around the state for testing, please be prepared to have varying wait times depending on the time of day. Generally, earlier times of day have shorted waiting times.