Diabetes is growing among Americans. Over 100 million Americans have active diabetes or in Pre-diabetes situation; every year 1.5 Million Americans get diagnosed with diabetes. In 2015, the number was 30.3 million i.e 9.5% of the total population. Living with diabetes can be exhausting and worrying for the affected person and the entire family. The crucial challenge faced by people with diabetes is staying motivated to face the condition. Diabetes is a serious condition in which body become unable to store and use glucose properly resulting in high concentration of glucose in blood. There are three main types of diabetes namely type 1, type 2, gestational diabetes. canton urgent canton mi
Type 1 diabetes: It is an autoimmune disease which damages the insulin producing cells in the pancreas, leading to generation of glucose in blood stream. It is mainly diagnosed in people under forty (40), in childhood, and teenage (sometimes in middle aged and older people). The type 1 diabetes is diagnosed when the body shows the following symptoms;
- Increased hunger and thrust
- Excessive urination
- Weight loss
Type 1 diabetes cannot be prevented by food and life style factors. They need to accommodate many other aspects that affect glucose control such as;
- Physical activity
Type 2 diabetes: Most people (95% approximately) have type 2 diabetes), it is mostly found in people over age of 40. Type 2 diabetes is a metabolic disorder related to storage of food in the body. It can be controlled by;
- Physical activity
- Losing over weight
- Healthy eating
Often develop in overweight people, and depression can also lead to type 2.
Gestational diabetes: Some women during pregnancy develop temporary insulin resistance and become normal after child birth. Such women and their child are at high risk of developing type 2 diabetes in later life. According to studies 50% of women with gestational diabetes develop type 2 diabetes within 10 years after delivery.
Diabetes and mental health: Young people with diabetes had increased risk of distress and anxiety and eating disorder. Such people experience emotions such as shock, sadness, anger and loneliness. Some patients may experience schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and excessive use of alcohol. Managing diabetes such as blood glucose checking, eating plan, injecting insulin, physical exercise may be stressful in itself. These conditions are identifiable and also treatments are available. urgent care canton
- Look after yourself: Diabetes is a complex disease and it is not only about medications, but it imposes demands on person who needs to be educated and empowered to change lifestyle and how to handle the disease.
- Stay connected with friends: Family and friends can also struggle with emotional and mental health issues so stay connected to them.
- Be flexible: Try to be flexible and not over-demanding on yourself, accept the fact and concentrate on yourself.
- Break activities: breakdown the activities you have to do, this will help you to regain confidence.
Other activities are;
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Going for a walk.
- Having a massage.
- Reading a book.
- Regular exercise, walk or yoga.
Treatments: Diabetes and mental health treatment require coordinated approach that monitors both. Effective treatments include;
- Psychological therapies: is for treatment of depression and help patients to talk about their feelings. Among these cognitive behavioral therapy supports to try new ways of thinking and acting. Other therapies are;
- Interpersonal therapy.
- Psychodynamic therapy.
Medications for mental health:
- Antidepressants not only help to control depression but also improve glycaemic control and decrease diabetic complications.
Bariatric surgery: is a weight loss surgery and helps people with type 2 diabetes to lose weight and maintain normal blood glucose level. After this surgery some people no longer need medicine.
Artificial pancreas: an artificial pancreas replaces blood testing, insulin or pump. The system monitors blood glucose and provide insulin.
Insulin: several types of insulin are available and each work with different speed and its effect last a different duration. These are rapid acting, short acting, intermediate acting, long acting. Insulin can be taken by needle and syringe, by pen, pump.
Oral medicines: oral medicines act in different ways to low the level of blood glucose. Combining two or three types of medicines can lower4 the glucose level more than taking one. Most people use metformin pills( also liquid) to cure type 2 diabetes.
Lifestyle changes: The affected person has to a adopt some lifestyle changes;
- Eat vegetable, fruits, low fat dairy.
- Avoid high sugar food.
- Avoid alcohol
- Regular physical exercise, Jogging and Walk